Day 6

12/25/2012

31 Comments

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I hope your day is filled with lots of love and joy!

Last night we stayed in Himatnagar and saw a group of students standing within a circle of lit candles protesting India’s current criminal laws. This uproar was caused after a 23 year old woman was gang raped on a moving bus last Sunday in Dehli. Every day for the past week, these protesters have been standing in the same spot. Their protests aren’t being unheard, for thousands of people all over India, especially women are protesting women equality and the criminal charges for rape. It isn’t just in Dehli, but all over India that safety is an issue and protestors want rape to be charged as a capital crime.

Picture
edition.cnn.com
I’ve always suggested going to India alone, telling my parents that I can take care of myself. However, without hesitation, my mom comes with me fearing for my safety. The amount of rape cases in India from 1971 to 2011 have jumped almost 875%. Young women feel unsafe, constantly fearing sexual assaults wherever they go. Shweta Prakash and her friends were stalked by a group of men during her first year of college in Delhi  Now, 20, she says, “It actually freaks you out when people do such things to you ... eye-teasing, passing lewd comments and stalking you. They literally rape you with their eyes” (CNN). For girls in India safety is an issue as well as getting an education.

During my time in India it has been extremely difficult finding a family in need that is willing to send their daughter to school. Their main concern is finding a husband for their daughter and getting her married as soon as she is in her teens. When I talked to my dad on the phone he said, “You need to understand that parents can’t risk the safety of their daughters. They try to get her married as soon as possible, so if anything happens to her everyone will already know that she was married and living with her in-laws when it happened. Society won’t blame her parents if she is married. If she’s walking from the farm by herself and gets raped nobody will want to marry her.”
Picture
From the beginning I’ve always thought by educating a girl I would be able to break the endless cycle of poverty. By doing this, she would be able to marry someone else who is also educated. It seemed a lot easier than it really is. Girls aren't just ready to go to school. Earlier this morning I started talking to Daksha (she does chores around our house). I asked her, “Don’t you want to go to school?” This isn’t the first time I've asked her; I’ve asked her almost every other day that I’ve been in India. Her response is always the same: a blank stare. This time, instead of leaving it at that I asked her why she doesn’t go to school. As she was washing the floors with a rag she pointed all around and said “look at all of this work still left to do”. I talked to her some more and realized that even though she’s not willing to go, I can still talk to her about it. The only thing I can do is plant the thought in her mind and hope it grows.

While some girls don’t want an education, others are fighting for it. In October, one young Pakistani activist was shot in the head for speaking out against the Taliban. At just fifteen years old, Malala Yousafzai is empowering young women worldwide to go to school. Malala (below) blogged about for the BBC about being a girl under the Taliban and has spoken up against Taliban’s efforts to prevent girls from gaining an education.
"Where in the Quran does it say that girls should not be educated?" she asked last year. "I have the right to play. I have the right to sing. I have the right to go to market. I have the right to speak up."

In hopes of silencing her, the Taliban has only intensified her voice.

Picture
Sources: http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/24/us/malala-cnn-most-intriguing-2012/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2 http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/23/world/asia/india-rape-protests/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Comments

You get courage from knowledge and education. You stop to fearing and enough courageous to point out the worse things which existing in the society and want from authority to eliminate this and it just because of knowledge and you become brave and strong to do the best for society.

06/19/2017 11:53pm

Lavender (L. angustifolia and others) is a shrubby flowering bush indigenous to the mountainous regions of the western Mediterranean and is considered have been first domesticated by the Arabians, then later spread across Europe by the Romans.

06/22/2017 10:16am

Desde ahora no tienes porque preocuparte al hablar por teléfono con tarotistas buenas, porque seremos capaces de sintonizar rápidamente contigo y decirte algo que te permitirá saber que hemos conectado contigo de verdad.

Kamagra
04/10/2015 4:55am

While a few young ladies don't need an instruction, others are battling for it. In October, one youthful Pakistani extremist was shot in the head for standing in opposition to the Taliban. At only fifteen years of age, Malala Yousafzai is engaging young ladies worldwide to go to class.

05/01/2015 1:08am

10/24/2015 7:21am

Beauty of nature is the most important and prominent phenomenon of this universe. All the artificial things look very dull in front of the beauty of nature. The main source of enjoyment is the beauty of nature.

11/10/2015 12:50pm

good

11/11/2015 11:00am

It’s the only education which helps us to become an active member of society, then it's our responsibility to participate for good changes in the society. Only educated persons can bring positive changes in the society with a broad vision.

Interesting story! I like it.

04/16/2016 3:16am

What a nice post. I want to read more such kind of articles.

08/16/2016 12:06am

The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing..

08/17/2016 4:57am

Your article really touched me. Girl child has no such freedom like boys to educate in their villages in India. It's a sad thing and i really want to change these things and increase the protection to the women. So that they can able to get good education.

08/19/2016 7:48am

Just wanna say that I'm so impressed with your writing!!!

09/06/2016 4:04am

As the admin of this web page is working, no question very soon it will be well-known, due to its feature contents.

09/06/2016 4:06pm

A very complete explanation! Now we really understand this issue. Thanks!

09/07/2016 4:04am

Wha! This is amazing full blog i like this sort blog. Consciously this online diary have this quality gigantic cost, upgrades, thank for sharing this webpage.

Genuiny, the artfulness of this segment is its words and this is clear since writer endeavored to put each word on its place perfectly. I read this online diary smoothly and I would not had the ability to find any lose with words. Respectable occupation.

09/09/2016 5:49am

If any one wants to be a successful blogger, after that he/she must read this paragraph, for the reason that it includes al} methods related to that.

09/10/2016 12:23pm

Such bureau houses [1] were trophy accumulations possessed by the couple of ladies living in the urban communities of Holland, England and Germany who were sufficiently affluent to bear the cost of them, and, completely outfitted, were justified regardless of the cost of an unassuming full-size house's development.

09/15/2016 11:19pm

Hi, I desire to subscribe for this web site to obtain most up-to-date updates, so where can i do it please help.

Reality 4 In case you are fortunate enough to find out an outcome following utilizing a fat loss plot, it's not going to final.

03/12/2017 1:13pm

Therefore not just are you going to encounter much better sexual intercourse, however, you must end up with increased power, much less anxiety and stress, along with a much more good state of mind.

03/12/2017 3:50pm

This is a natural herb which improves opposition in order to tension, raises endurance and also encourages basic wellbeing.

03/13/2017 1:16pm

Regrettably, testosterone amounts top within our teenager many years after which it can almost all alpine following that.

03/30/2017 12:08pm

Now there is a natural decision to processing and the prevention - Herpeset.

I always like to read a quality content having accurate information regarding the subject and the same thing I found in this post. Nice work.

05/30/2017 1:10am

The versatile herb lavender has many properties beyond its delightful appearance and fragrance. This herb can be used for its relaxation properties, for its skin care and health benefits and for the flavor and appearance enhancements it provides to favorite foods.

06/01/2017 12:51pm

It is without a doubt one of the sneakiest and craftiest moves in a war like no other that has gone before it on this planet. You are under attack - continuously, without you even realizing it. Your Opponent? Information!

06/17/2017 5:50am

I sometimes hear from people who intend to go on Nutrisystem and who are trying to be very organized and to plan ahead.

07/01/2017 5:46am

It is human to desire a platform where you can express your thoughts and ideas. Blogs is such a platform where people can say whatever they feel like openly. Before the invention of blogs, people had to create a website to express their ideas which used to be quite costly. But blogs have given people a way to express themselves and it doesn't even cost anything. Following are eight way to do excellent blogging...

08/03/2017 5:35am

When there is a blogging site for every subject under the sun, why not one for day trading too? We have a detailed commentary on what constitutes a blog meant for day trading.